July 24, 2013

The best role model

I am my daughters’ best role model, so I better start acting like it!


I’ve got lots of bits on my body that move independently from frame; I’ve got stretch marks and stained skin from my medication. I’m not fat per say, but I’m certainly not wearing single digit size clothes. I sometimes catch myself being self-criticizing in front of Isabella and I need to stop. We all should stop, every mother, aunt, grandma. We have this little girl in front of us just soaking in everything she hears. She’s going to grow up and be made fun of for something to do with her appearance. She’s going to feel less than her peers at some point in her life. She’s going to think she’s ugly by media standards and she’s definitely going to hate her hair.


This is inevitable, but I can lessen the blow for her.


I can be less criticizing of myself and encourage her to be comfortable in her own skin.


I can show her that beauty isn’t just on the outside.  


I CAN be her best role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment