July 22, 2013

My Mathlete

I hope my kid is a drama geek, or a mathlete! 

Bells is quite the social butterfly and I love how accepting she is of all other kids, but I don’t want the “popular girl” label for her... ever! Popularity is so overrated in school and amounts to nothing in the real world. I witnessed firsthand the difference it makes at my 10 year high school reunion. All the “unpopular” people offered to help out in any way they could while the “popular” ones just showed up for a party. They were used to everyone catering to them back in the day and it seems like they still are. I of course bragged about Bells, and my 2 home businesses, and 2 part time jobs. I bragged about my husband and our life together. I got the chance to catch up with several people I hadn’t seen in years.

The “popular” girls acted as though were still walking down the Pinetree halls, looking down on me and my “unpopular” friends. They didn’t engage in conversation with me as though I still had acne and was eating my French fries with extra gravy outside of the media arts room. Some even left their spouses at home and were seen dancing unacceptably close to an old high school flame. It was a real eye opener, and I don’t ever want Isabella to be like that!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you felt the same way about the reunion as I did. It was like a popularity contest all over again but a third of the crowd weren't contestants. So sad.

    ReplyDelete